This is one of our favorite snacks around the office at Yourlixir. It’s quick, easy to make, and packs a nutritious punch. Most pre-made popcorns contain unhealthy fats and artificial ingredients but this healthy, cheesy alternative is dairy-free, gluten-free, keto, and vegan-friendly. It’s something the whole family can enjoy and fills you up with guilt-free satisfaction when you’ve got a hankering for something savory and delicious.
What makes this popcorn a healthy choice for snacking?
- Spirulina contains chlorophyll, omega’s 3 & 6, plant-based protein, all essential amino acids, minerals, and vitamins B1, B2, B3, copper and iron. You’ll also find magnesium, potassium and manganese.
- Olive oil is rich in polyphenols and contains more good fat than coconut oil, but both have similar calories. These oils satiate your appetite while providing your body with an efficient source of energy.
- Nutritional yeast is widely used as a cheese alternative by the vegan community in place of dairy options. It has a savory umami taste with health benefits like all nine essential amino acids, vitamin B12, folate, B6, potassium, iron and fiber.
- Popcorn is a whole grain food that is high in fiber, low in calories and can be beneficial for digestion. *Always opt for organic, unseasoned popcorn to avoid unwanted or artificial ingredients.
What you’ll need:
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp Yourlixir Organic Spirulina powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Himalayan pink salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
*always use organic ingredients when possible!
- Measure ½ cup of popcorn kernels and prepare as directed on packaging
- In a separate big bowl or tupperware, mix together all of the dry ingredient seasonings
- Once the popcorn is popped, quickly remove it from the heat and transfer it to the mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and cover with a lid or large plate. Shake vigorously to coat the popcorn.
*If you’re at the office, you can easily add seasonings to a microwavable bag and shake it up!
Did you make this recipe? Share your creation on IG and TAG US #yourlixir
Leave a comment