Sneak in your greens with this tastebud tingling treat! A superfood spin on traditional baba ghanoush recipes that'll leave you wanting more! Enjoy as a spread, dip, or healthy additional to your salad!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
Balsamic Glazed Lentils
- ½ cup green lentils
- 1⅓ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3½ tablespoons Trader Joe's Balsamic Vinegar Glaze
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup raw pine nuts
- ⅓ cup red onion, minced
- ⅓ cup parsley leaves
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- sprinkle of chili flakes
Super Baba Ghanoush
- 4 medium sized eggplants
- 4 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Yourlixir Organic Spirulina powder
- 2 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Toasted pita bread or sliced cucumbers
- Broil the eggplant for about 45 minutes and garlic cloves (approx 10 min) on high in the oven until the outside is charred and the insides are soft. *Pierce the eggplant with a fork and wrap the garlic cloves in a small piece of tinfoil with a little olive oil. Place the eggplant and garlic cloves on a baking tray and transfer to the top shelf of the oven. Toast the walnuts and pine nuts on a baking sheet in the oven at the same time on the lower rack until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let them cool before chopping. Flip over the eggplants halfway through broiling. Once ready, remove from the oven and let them rest until they’re cool to the touch.
- Prepare the lentils, drain and set to the side to cool. Add lentils to a large mixing bowl with the lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic (mashed), onions, parsley (finely chopped), EVOO, balsamic vinegar glaze, and sea salt. Crush the walnuts and combine with the lentil mixture. Set aside.
- Peel the skin off of the eggplant, remove the insides and place it in a strainer until the juices have drained.
- In another bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, eggplant, cayenne, sea salt and pepper. Mix well!
- Top the blended eggplant with the balsalmic glazed lentils and sprinkle the toasted pine nuts and chili flakes on top. Serve with pita bread, crackers or sliced cucumbers and enjoy!