Maca powder comes from a root native to the high Peruvian Andes mountains and has been used for thousands of years to treat a variety of symptoms and increase overall wellbeing. However, this mild butterscotch flavored adaptogen has just recently started to gain popularity as a superfood in Western society. It's most commonly recognized for balancing hormones and boosting libido, but there are many more benefits that often don’t get the credit they deserve.
There are three varieties of maca root - yellow, red and black. Each has similar properties, but some tout enhanced effects in certain areas. For instance, black maca root is notably more beneficial for men, although its still safe for men or women to take any of the three.
Maca powder is great for throwing in smoothies, or adding to your homemade facemasks.
Benefits of maca:
- Brain Booster - Enhances memory, function and learning ability.
- Improves Mood - When you look and feel healthier, wouldn't that make anyone happier? Maca boasts antidepressant-like effects.
- Balances Hormones - Regulate your cycle and estrogen levels, reduce or eliminate PMS and alleviate menopause symptoms.
- Boosts Libido - Improves sexual function in both men and women. Can increase fertility and raise sperm count in men.
- Loaded with Antioxidants - Reduces free radicals.
- Increases Energy - By nourishing adrenal glands, hormones can function properly and therefore helps energy levels thrive.
- Vitamins & Minerals - Contains a high fiber content and is loaded with B-vitamins, iron, calcium and zinc.
- Protein Source - Contains seven essential amino acids, nearly making it a complete protein source. (approximately 4g per two tablespoons)
- Reduces Acne & Improves Skin - By keeping hormones in check and nourishing your body with the antioxidants, minerals and vitamins maca contains, skin quality flourishes.
What Makes Our Maca Special?
- Our maca powder is gelatinized, meaning it's the most soluble and easy to digest. The gelatinization process removes the starch from the root and leaves only a concentrated powder, making the nutritional content more bioavailable.
- Sourced from Peru
- Vegan & paleo friendly
- No added sweeteners, preservatives or additives
- Mild malty, sweet taste
- Easy to use in a variety of recipes
Easy ways to use maca powder:
- Smoothies/Smoothie Bowls - Add a 1/2 a teaspoon to your smoothie and increase to 1-2 teaspoons per day gradually.
- Coffee - Add maca powder to your coffee to add a mildly sweet, creamy-like effect and boost your mood.
- Hot Cocoa - Add maca powder to your next cup of cocoa! You can create your own healthy version by using nut milk, maca, cacao powder, cinnamon and a touch of maple syrup.
- Oatmeal - Mix your maca into your oatmeal with your other favorite superfoods and fruits.
- Baking - Use maca in a variety of baked goods like muffins, cookies or pancakes.
- Energy Balls - Maca is a great ingredient to add to homemade energy balls. Check out our recipe blog for inspo!
- Ice Cream - Why not sprinkle some maca and cinnamon on top of your ice cream? They make a delectable combo!
- Peanut Butter - Ever heard of a PBJ&M? Now you have.
Purchase our Organic Gelatinized Maca Powder here.
Follow us on Instagram for more inspo & giveaways!