Spirulina is most famously known as "the most nutrient dense food on the planet". This blue-green algae grows in both fresh and salt water, and packs a powerful punch. It contains all nine essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals and protein. In fact, this vegan-friendly superfood contains more protein gram per gram than eggs or any other meat-based proteins. In just 2 tablespoons, there is approximately 16g of protein, meaning a little bit will go a long way when using this powder.
Not only is spirulina effective when taken orally, but applying a topical face mask where spirulina has been added to it can also help diminish acne and redness. Spirulina is touted as one of the world's best superfoods because of just how many health benefits it contains in one small dose. Here are some of our favorite benefits.
Benefits of Spirulina
- Protein Content - This superfood has more protein content in it, gram per gram, than any other meat or plant! It's a great source of protein for vegans, too, as it's considered a complete plant protein.
- Amino Acids - Spirulina contains all 9 essential amino acids - the key to vitality and a healthy lifestyle. Amino acids are considered the building blocks of life and help regulate almost all the biochemical reactions in your body.
- Antioxidants - When you think of antioxidants, many think of blueberries first. Although blueberries contain a generous amount of them, spirulina's ORAC score actually measures in at nearly 4 times the amount of blueberries.
- The Insides - Great for digestion & overall gut health!
- Improves brain & nerve function!
- Natural Antihistamine - Spirulina reduces inflammation in the sinuses and nasal passageways, making it easier to breathe.
- Detoxifies - Say goodbye to heavy metals & cleanse the skin while you're at it! Spirulina flushes heavy metals that collect in the body over time from daily activities and can be used topically as well to enhance the overall quality of your skin.
- Reduces blood sugar!
- Energy Boosting - Because of the high protein content, your body has the fuel it needs to keep going strong. Combine that with vitamins and minerals, and you not only have the energy, but the right mood and nutrition to tackle the day.
- Weight Management - With such a generous serving of protein per serving, including spirulina in your diet helps to keep you full and satisfied longer, and with more stamina throughout your day.
What Makes Our Spirulina Special?
- Vegan & paleo friendly
- No added sweeteners, preservatives or additives
- Mild, earthy taste
Easy Ways to Use Spirulina:
- Pineapple juice - mix one serving of spirulina into a glass of chilled pineapple juice. *Start with a small amount and work your way up to a full serving per glass as you become more familiar with the taste.
- Smoothies/Smoothie bowls - smoothies are one of the very best ways to take multiple superfoods at once because they blend so easily with other fruits and vegetables into one tasty concoction.
- Guacamole/Avocado Toast - add a dash of spirulina to your next bowl of chips and dip or on top of your avocado toast. (*Add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast and sesame seeds to take your avocado toast to the next level!)
- Soup - Sprinkle some spirulina on top of your bowl of soup (*do not boil or overcook spirulina. It's best to add as a topping once the soup has been heated to your desired temperature.)
- Eggs - Add a sprinkle to your eggs!
- Popcorn - Add a sprinkle of himalayan sea salt, rosemary, a touch of olive oil and spirulina to your next batch of popcorn and let us know if you ever go back to eating regular popcorn again.
- Face mask - Add a small amount of spirulina to your next homemade facemask to help alleviate redness and inflammation. (*We use manuka honey, spirulina and apple cider vinegar. Mix into a paste/consistency you prefer.)
Spriulina can be a bit of an acquired taste to some, and there are versions out there that we'd rather not mention, but that's why we did extensive testing to find the most delicious, nutritious spirulina out there! We recommend that if it's your first time using spirulina, start with a small amount and gradually work up to more as your palate gets used to it. Believe us when we say, you'll be craving this savory superfood before you know it.
Purchase our high-quality, spirulina powder here!